Aftershave - A History
We are so excited about our newest product for the men in our lives - 3 different varieties of aftershave! Each one has its own unique scent with very subtle hints of lavender. They are natural, paraben-free, and they even come in super affordable trial-sized bottles so you can try them without committing.
- Yo Ho Ho - Light w/ a Bay Rum hint
- Roman Soldier - Traditional and masculine
- Go West - Leathery and outdoorsy
But, lavender? In men's aftershave? Really?
For those of you wondering if you're going to be overcome by a strong floral smelliness every time you go to hug your father, brother, husband, significant other - don't worry. When lavender is mixed with other scents, it takes the undertone. It is added more to cut any harshness than to provide a sweet scent.
And, we've been doing our research. All throughout history, lavender has been used by women AND men for a variety of purposes:
- The Romans doused themselves in lavender during bathing rituals and the soldiers would bring it with them into battle to ease wounds with its medicinal qualities. They used it for cooking, cleaning and stress relief - they liked it so much they would travel with the herb and are credited for spreading it throughout Europe!
- Greeks and Egyptians used it as perfume. In Egypt, wealthy men would put a solid block of perfume on their head, and as it melted, the scent would drip and cover their bodies.
- Royalty of England and France had lavender for all types of uses. Queen Elisabeth used it to treat her headaches and to add to her tea, while King Charles VI of France had it stuffed into his seat cushions.
But, enough of the history lesson. We hope you are as excited about these aftershaves as we are. And if you'd like to smell them yourself, please feel free to stop by the shop on weekends from 10-3 p.m.!